To honour Prof. P.G. Cooray for his outstanding contribution to understanding of earth sciences, the Executive Committee of the Geological Society of Sri Lanka awards the “P.G. Cooray Medal” every year, with effect from 1995, to the most out
standing young earth scientist.
In addition, PG Cooray medal recipient is presented an annual cash award of Rs 50,000 ‘In memory of Gerald and Joan Cooray’, by their daughter and grandson, Shantini Ann and Jamie.
Call for Applications 2016
Applications are invited from Sri Lankan geoscientists under the age of 35 years at the time of application, for the award of the P.G. Cooray Medal – 2016. The medal will be awarded to the most outstanding contributor in the field of Earth Sciences of Sri Lanka during the period from 1st January, 2015 to 31st December, 2015. Prospective applicants are requested to submit copies of their theses, dissertations, publications, patents etc. to the Secretary/GSSL.
The criteria for the award of the “P.G. Cooray Medal” are as follows:
- The applicant should be a citizen of Sri Lanka under 35 years of age at the time of application.
- Field : – Earth Sciences, (with the minimum of BSc or above)
- The Award will be given to the most outstanding contributor to Earth Sciences in Sri Lanka for the given year, judged on the basis of a thesis/ dissertation / publication, e.g., Outstanding BSc Thesis, MSc Thesis, MPhil Thesis, PhD Thesis, publication in a recognised journal(s) or a patent. If there is no suitable person in a particular year, the award will not be made that year.
- The outstanding thesis or publication could be based on work done in a foreign country or in Sri Lanka.
- The Medal will be awarded each year at the Annual General meeting of the GSSL.
- Applications for the award will be invited in September of each year and an announcement to this effect will be published in the newspapers.
- The Medal will not be given to the same person twice.
- If funds are available, a certain amount of money will accompany the award. This will be decided by the Executive Committee of the GSSL each year.
- The selection of the successful applicant will be decided by a Sub-committee appointed by the Executive committee of the GSSL each year. The decision of the sub-committee will be final.
- The art work of the medal will not be changed.
Recipients of the P.G. Cooray Medal
1995 G. W. A. Rohan Fernando
1996 A. L. T. Hewawasam
1997 A.G.S. R. Perera
1998 Deepani P.R. Weerakoon
1999 (Not awarded)
2000 H.M.T.G.A. Pitawala
2001 P.N. Ranasinghe
2002 N.W.B. Balasuriya
2003 S.U.P. Jinadasa
2004 (not awarded)
2005 Meththika Vithanage
2006 (Not awarded)
2007 Lalindra V. Ranaweera
2008 (Not awarded)
2009 Mayomi Kulasena
2010 (Not awarded)
2011 (Not awarded)
2012 (Not awarded)
2013 Mr. P.G. Mantilaka
2014 Miss Nadeesha Madugalla